Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Painting Found in the Garbage Sells for $1 Million
Mexican artist Rufino Tamayo's ``Tres Personajes,'' an abstract 1970 image of three people, was bought by a U.S. collector for 1 million at Sotheby's auction.
- The sellers of Tres Personajes were a Houston couple
- They bought the painting at Sotheby's in 1977 for $50,000
- The painting was stolen 20 years ago
- Dumped on New York's West 72nd Street in 2003
- Found by Upper West Side resident Elizabeth Gibson
- She traced its owner.
- Gibson had a $15,000 reward from the owner
- Elizabeth Gibson also gets an undisclosed fee from Sotheby's
Regia Art drawing over included.
So, have a great Thanksgiving. And thanks.